We are officially kicking off the How Would Jesus Vote on 19 campaign. We believe that if we can reach a small percentage of those who may be influenced by religion and an often misguided view on cannabis relating to religion we may be able to gain the small percentage of votes that 19 may need to win in November. Those who share Christian values may find some of these points interesting. Print some flyers and spread them far and wide. Here is the text of the flyer:
- Jesus would agree that locking up 1 in every 100 Americans to be warehoused in prison facilities with violent criminals was a bad idea. Over 700,000 of your neighbors and family. are charged with crimes EVERY YEAR for using cannabis. We must end the madness and use those resources towards a public health approach. Jesus said, “If a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.” (Mark 3:24). Cannabis prohibition is not in the 10 Commandments.
- Jesus would see the disparity in the implementation of these laws that tend to target minorities as an immoral approach to governing. In LA County alone the arrest rate of black cannabis users is over 300% higher than that of white cannabis users. Studies show that whites use cannabis at a higher rate than black Americans despite the skewed arrest rates. Jesus says, “The King shall answer and say unto them, ‘Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethern, ye have done it unto me.” (Matt. 25:40)
- Jesus would promote a less violent and more compassionate solution to the problem of misuse of cannabis. As many faith-based organizations already do, it is certain that Jesus would support treatment and rehabilitation for those with abuse issues versus locking them in a prison complex with those convicted of heinous and often violent crimes. Jesus states, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. Blessed are those persecuted for righteousness’ sake: For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:9-10)
- Loving thy neighbor as you would love yourself requires understanding and empathy. 10% or more of Americans enjoy cannabis currently regardless of prohibition. Because of its safe and less toxic effect, it is often used in similar instances as many people use wine, beer, or other intoxicants. Allowing these friend and neighbors to quit feeling as if they should live in shame for their “crime” should be a value any good Christian would understand. How would you feel if you had to go hide in the bathroom to have a glass of wine? This is how 1 in 10 of your neighbors feel now.
- Cannabis is a safe and non-toxic plant. The Bible states, “Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed which is upon the face of all the earth.…To you it will be for meat (consume).” … And God saw everything that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. (Genesis 1:29-31). Cannabis and hemp can be used for an incredible amount of other uses, including energy, building materials, fiber, plastic, foods, cosmetics, and more. Prop. 19 allows farmers to grow industrial hemp in California.
- Current policy is a failure. Cannabis is more readily available than ever and it is not taxed, nor well-regulated. Legal cannabis would create a higher level of safety in the community by taking the black market away from the criminals. Jesus said, “Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: And with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?” (Matt. 7:1-4)
- Jesus also stated, “Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar’s and unto God the things which be God’s.” (Luke 20:25) As we have seen, it was God, not government, who gave man the herbs to use. And it was government that put Jesus to death.
Special thanks to Equal Rights for All (www.equalrightsforall.org) and the article by James Clark entitled “Why Marijuana Decriminalization Should Be a Christian Issue” published on The Huffington Post 08/03/10 for inspiration, thoughts, and research on this important matter.
TO download and print the flyer to hand out at churches, religious functions, to neighbors of faith, or to put on car windows at 10:30 am on a Sunday morning visit here: 7ReasonsJesusWouldVoteYeson19
For a file that can be used to make stickers in your area go here: HWJV.sticker